RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #1 
Angry Critter.png 
tejasdude

Reply with quote  #2 
I like this kind of artwork.
VivienneT

Reply with quote  #3 
When I first saw the thumbnail I thought he was dancing for fun but on closer look he is dancing the dance of anger. Love his expression. Wouldn't like to get near his teeth. lol
Vivienne
RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #4 
tejasdude, thank you. I do too. I'm just starting to make progress on the style.

bd

RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Vivienne. I enjoyed this one. It came together quickly.

bd

Don Decker

Reply with quote  #6 
Cool style cool look keep up the good work.
RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Don. I keep mentioning my tablet but it really has opened my eyes to what is possible.

bd

Robyn

Reply with quote  #8 
Very well done Bob. He's about to biff someone and has the muscle power to do it well. 
Looking at your comment to Don, re tablet opening your eyes to the possibilities.  Care to explain a bit more? ... as I can't understand how. I guess I'm just thinking about how small the picture area is etc.  and to me that creates difficulties.  (of course I can see by your creations that is not the case with you). [smile] Rob 

RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you Rob. To explain about the tablet... OK, first of all, I'm not talking about an Android or Surface tablet. I have a large Intuos Pro with a 10 by 15 inch working area. My monitor is a 27 inch. Size isn't a problem. I spent my early years drawing a lot with pencils, colored pencils and ink pens. Later I did a lot of traditional painting too. Back in 1985 I got my first computer with a mouse. I have spent a lot of hours using a mouse so I got good at it. Not bragging about my artwork. I got good with a mouse. All through Paintshop Pro and Corel Draw, then Twisted Brush I used only a mouse except a few failed attempts with a couple of other tablets. I got the Intuos a couple of years ago but the thing just didn't click. I couldn't figure a way to position it so I could use it with the keyboard and the mouse. A month or two ago I found a position that worked. Since then I have done a lot of practice with it and it turns out it provides the experience I always wanted. The lines are dynamic, not just fixed width. The pressure sensitivity feature lets the lines vary, the opacity vary, and just about any other aspect of the brush stroke. Now, with the tablet and keyboard, I almost never touch the mouse for anything. I hope this helps explain. Ask questions if you have any.

bd

Robyn

Reply with quote  #10 
Well, that cleared a lot up Bob. Thanks. So not a stylus/pen as well?  (maybe that's always included when you use the term 'tablet'). I can't imagine using anything but my mouse and it's just 2nd nature to use that, but I guess whatever we use can become 2nd nature especially if we feel happy with it from the start.  You will advance amazingly I'm sure.  Rob
RobertLeeDavis

Reply with quote  #11 
Rob, using a tablet or drawing pad, whatever the right word is, does include using a stylus. For me, that's the best of it. All of that muscle memory from pencil and pen drawing starts coming back. One of the things I always admired about your art was that I knew you were doing it with a mouse. I knew it was hard cause I was using a mouse too. I never liked a mouse for raster artwork. I think it might still be the best for vector art. I don't do much of that right now. One of the big things that comes from so many years of mousing is that we learn hand/eye coordination while not looking at the page but looking at the screen. That makes one of the screen pads like the Wacom One unnecessary. Looking at the screen while drawing seems natural now. Done ranting for now.

bd

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.