Author   Comment  
Suzette

Reply with quote  #1 
painter 15.jpg 
I thought I would try a portrait again. I think this is only my 3rd attempt. Please feel free to critique it as I'm totally out of my element here. 

rldavis

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow. Your third attempt is great. At first glance it resembled Robyn's work. Actually in both style and technique. I hate being critical of people's art because I know what it's like to be criticized in non-constructive ways. But I do like to help people get better. Here are a couple of things I still work hard on. I have huge libraries of reference pictures. I don't copy any but when I get stuck, I go to the category or Google what I'm working on and I look at 5 or ten pictures of what I'm trying to paint to where I have a good sense of what it should look like. Another is to push contrast. I have been redoing my palettes to have a wider range from light to dark. I've been slow to adapt to this but when looking at someone's picture there is always more contrast than I think there is if I'm working from memory. I hope this feels like support over criticism.[smile]

bd

Suzette

Reply with quote  #3 
First off, to be remotely compared to Ms. Robyn's work I consider a HUGE compliment. I appreciate your consideration regarding critiquing and that you understood I was looking for ways to improve. 

I did learn through this piece that I need more layers heh, I had the flesh, lips, and the eyes and brows all on one layer. That proved to be problematic later on when I needed to reshape here and there. So the lips were redone on a separate layer this time. However, the slightest nudge here or there had me going back to re blend the offset that had occurred. 

Not to mention a particular spot that I kept trying to blend, turned out to be a spec on the monitor HA HA...I had nearly blended down to the BG before I realized what it was. 

To think it was the look of a painter's cap in strings, that led me to even try this piece. I will definitely use more reference material if future that's a great idea.

Yes, to support over criticism. 

Thank you [smile]
Don Decker

Reply with quote  #4 
Bob is right it looks like Robyn's work & wow good job 
Robyn

Reply with quote  #5 
She is lovely Suzette!  I love her sweet face and the very colourful hat. I have also drawn hats and then had to draw a face underneath them.  I see from the colourful clothes and hat that she is indeed the painter. [smile]  The only thing I would suggest at this moment is to define her nose a bit more, simply by darkening it a tad, not too dark, the nostrils as well.  This will give more shape to her face and avoid the look of eye and lips standing alone. Well done young lady!  [smile]  Robyn
Suzette

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you so much Ms. Robyn. I value the input. Note to self: More contrast [smile]
Robyn

Reply with quote  #7 
[smile][smile][smile]
I forgot to say, I love her snazzy hairdo Suzette.  

VivienneT

Reply with quote  #8 
Oh WOW Suzette.  This is fantastic.  I also thought it was one of Robyn's but her style is a little more defined.  Not bad criticism but I also think the nose could be a shade darker.  I love her hat and those  beautiful blue eyes.  I am a sucker for blue eyes and I am married to a fantastic blue eyed man.  I have tried portraits but am absolutely no good whatsoever.  You seem to have the delightful gift of covering all of the genre's.  Keep up the good work as you are doing o well.
Vivienne
Suzette

Reply with quote  #9 
I'm really appreciate all the wonderful comments and constructive suggestions. I did go back and applied more contrast along her nose and nostrils, and made the nostrils a teeny bit larger. I even nudged it (the nose) upward a smidgeon and golly it made a difference. I also added just a few highlights to her "snazzy hairdo" which made that pop. Last I shaved a wee bit off the right shoulder for more definition. 

Vivienne portrait pcs are not my go to, but I wanted a challenge and woosh was it ever. *grin*

Here is the - I'm going to call it work in progress 😉 painter 20.jpg 

Robyn

Reply with quote  #10 
That is very good that you picked up on a few more things to enhance her Suzette, Even when one goes way back in years to old portraits, there is usually something to improve on, yet at the time it looked just fine. lol  I have had crooked eyes to fix among other lopsided things. You're cunning just having one eye to deal with. [wink][tongue][rofl]  Now her whole face is connected and the hair looks so good!
One more point and I'll leave it at that???  

Suzette

Reply with quote  #11 
She actually has two eyes but in trying to raise the cap to show them I lost the overall look I was going for. As hard as the eye was I'm glad I only had one to worry with in the end. lol You had one more point? I'm thinking I brought the added shading down to low (below her nose)?
Robyn

Reply with quote  #12 
Yes I think the look is good like that with one eye. The hat is soooo good!. 
I was thinking of the shoulders, not the shading on the face.  They need to be widened across the page and even go off the page as they look too narrow for the width of her face and neck. But just for future use for portraits I mean, I'm not saying you should do it to this one.  I'm not a hard taskmaster, (giggle). Bob is very good with proportions so keep an eye on his works as you go. 

VivienneT

Reply with quote  #13 
This is looking really good now Suzette.  You seem to be natural at it.  I think we all have paintings that we are not happy with but don't get rid of them. It will always look different on a different day.
Vivienne
rldavis

Reply with quote  #14 
Better.[smile] The hair highlights also help.

bd

Suzette

Reply with quote  #15 
Does the happy dance...[rofl]

Robyn I moved the shoulders out and was amazed at how that slight change made that much difference. 

Vivienne thank you.

I agree Robert regarding the highlights - thanks.

Moving on now~
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.