Author   Comment  
Quasihedron

Reply with quote  #1 

The drive where I installed TB is on the same drive as the main Win 10 operating system, as is the default position. That drive is filling up with TB images. I would like to move my TB storage from under my User Folder to a different disk drive. Is that possible, and is it easy. If not, can you add the capability to change the default drive AND folders. 

Further, I soon anticipate putting my operating system on an SSD, which has limited space and a limited number of times one can write to a sector on an SSD, per may last research on SSDs.

Thanks,
Quasihedron

Lorenzo

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Quasihedron,
    This is great question I've been meaning to ask?
All my programs are on a SSD an is filling up too.
The only way I Found is to take the BOOK OUT.
Then create a file on a other drive.
Inconvenient.
Perhaps one can copy Program File>Install on other drive?

Hopefully Ken will reply whit a better solution.
RLeibforth

Reply with quote  #3 
You can create a junction (mklink) that will redirect calls to/from a directory from/to another directory:
e.g. mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixarra\TwistedBrush\Book1" "E:\datadrive\TwistedBrushBooks\Book1"
Then you move all your existing files on the (C) directory to the (E) drive directory. Any call from a program to the default (C) directory is redirected to the (E) directory without the program being aware of the redirection. You should google junction and/or mklink) and find a site that explains it and gives you step-by-step directions. If you want to delete the junction, you just delete it and put all the files back on the (C) directory.

And by the way, there is no limit on the number of times you can write to an SSD - no practical limit anyway, and you can get a 1TB SSD on Amazon for about $160 - Win10 and about 175 programs on my SSD take up about 125GB, that would leave you about 800GB for pictures...
kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
@RLeibforth thank you, excellent information!

Here is the Microsoft help page for mklink. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.