Author   Comment  
BunnySpots

Reply with quote  #1 
This is totally a quality of life request, it's not very common in other programs but getting a little more common. However it's a really nice one as It's really a horrible feeling when you feel artistic sit down and do some stuff real fast without thinking and than realize you forgot to change off of the background layer. Maybe other people here can tell me why, but personally I can't figure out why you would ever want to start off working on the background layer since it has an embedded white background compared to starting on the next layer up.
stickynoteme

Reply with quote  #2 
I'd +1 this I can't say I'd ever want to work on the background layer. I really like the way Clip handles it. They call it a "paper" layer and you can't even draw on it. Which is really nice as it prevents you from ever accidentally drawing on a layer that isn't transparent without actually wanting to do so.
Surov

Reply with quote  #3 

I am categorically against this proposal.
Sorry, but I don't even consider it necessary to argue my opinion.
I believe in traditional values.

Surov

Reply with quote  #4 
Love this idea myself, it would shave off an obligatory extra step to starting a new work.
Surov

Reply with quote  #5 

ParadoxInTime wrote:
> Love this idea myself, it would shave off an obligatory extra step to starting a new work.

For whom?
For someone who starts with a transparent layer
or
for someone who starts with a white, opaque layer?

Please note that many of the natural brushes will work correctly only on non-transparent layer!

Surov

Reply with quote  #6 
Well for me and apparently a few other people who like this idea, however my comment "it would shave off an obligatory extra step to starting a new work." was intended to be just in context to myself, not all other artists in the whole world. I mean really who am I the god of digital art? lmao

It sounds like you are in the camp of people who only like starting with an opaque layer and that's cool, though instead of just being kind of knee jerk hostile about it. You could suggest a compromise like a check box in settings. After all from a code logic point of view it should be real easy to make a checkbox in preferences that starts new projects on the second layer, or at the very least properly voice your opinion the first time rather than waiting to get upset and pounce on a person.

stickynoteme

Reply with quote  #7 
Whoa, yeah I gotta agree not cool jumping on people like that after making the first comment like you did Surov. Normally you're better composed than that. Just remember when you type out a comment re-read them and if they sound like you are attacking the person at all take a few deep breaths and re-type them from the start. This is a small community we need to do our best to make it a happy friendly place. 😃

You have a good point it is true that some brushes need opaque layers, but it's also true that some need transparent layers, or other even other types of layers to work properly. Overall if Kens interested I'd say the check box in preferences would be a great way to go.
Surov

Reply with quote  #8 

ParadoxInTime,
A compromise between the red and green traffic light usually leads to an accident.
I did not attack a person, but simply expressed my opinion in a firm form.
It is you who allow yourself strong expressions. Reduce your aggression.

Please suggest the make a next (1001st) checkbox in preferences, if you want ...
I will not do this.

If I whom offended, sorry.

Surov

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
Well, nothing wrong with strong disagreement and passion about ones tools. I think everyone expressed their opinions fine, some with a little more passion. 😉

I do understand sometimes it's the little things in a program that can really make it or break it. I also have been caught painting something (possibly) very nice and then wanted to make something beneath it and realized I was on the background. 

I will give this consideration. It's a fair request for sure. In fact some of the other Studio products do exactly this (start on layer 2), those where working on a transparent layer is expected (Blob Studio, Liquid Studio, Tree Studio actually defaults to starting on layer 5 and prenames the layers.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ken
ParadoxInTime

Reply with quote  #10 
@Surov

I didn't say you attacked me that was another poster words. I said you didn't need to be "knee jerk hostile about it" in regards to the fact that you didn't politely give your opinion or try and carry on a polite dialog or ask a real question of me, but rather asked a question at me than answered it yourself without giving me a chance to clear up the obvious misunderstanding of my wording. Which is a considerably hostile thing to do.

As far as I can see you didn't really offend anyone you just came off as a total troll.
Surov

Reply with quote  #11 

ParadoxInTime wrote:
> I didn't say I you attacked me that was another poster words.

I answered that line:
--- cut ---
...or at the very least properly voice your opinion the first time rather
than waiting to get upset and pounce on a person.
--- cut ---
Is there a big difference between" punch "and" attack " in this context?

ParadoxInTime wrote:
> As far as I can see you didn't really offend anyone you just came off as a total troll.

ParadoxInTime, who were you in your previous life? Your nickname on the old forum?
Just wondering.
Surov

Reply with quote  #12 
You're so caught up in your trolling rage at this point your not even taking the time to read what you are quoting.

Quote:
Is there a big difference between" punch "and" attack " in this context?

"pounce" Not punch.

I am un-subscribing to this thread so if you really need to be the big man and have the last comment feel free to make one more. I'll never read it so you can feel like you've officially won and be able to move on in life.
kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #13 
I will make the last response on this thread since it is no longer productive I will lock it. 

That said the request is still valid and buried in there.

Ken
kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #14 
A solution for this will be available in 24.03. There will be an option to save a page as the default page to use when the New menu is selected. This has the advantage of being able to be any size, layer count, selected layer as well as starting image data.

2018-07-04 12_35_08-TwistedBrush Pro Studio _ Book-1_ Page-1_  (100.0%.png 

Enjoy!
Ken

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.