Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
rldavis

Reply with quote  #1 
To give proper credit, the background picture was taken by me today in my back woods just for a background for this guy. I took Dave's (Spuddy) advice and used an adjustment overlay to adjust shading. I used about a dozen Google pictures of foxes to learn anatomy and coloration but didn't copy or clone.
Red Fox.png 

Suzette

Reply with quote  #2 
This is great Robert. I like it a lot! 
Don Decker

Reply with quote  #3 
Great job Bob  No foxes but I saw deer today
rldavis

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Suzette. Still working on different ways plus diving right into the paint.[smile]

bd

rldavis

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Don. I never see foxes around here. I know we have a few though. I didn't even see my raccoons today. They didn't come by and eat their food. We have plenty of deer too but never have seen one from the house, just dodge them on the road.

bd

Suzette

Reply with quote  #6 
I think it's super that you are diving right into the painting process and exploring your options. 

What is your typical food that you set out for the raccoons? I know they love chips n dip and peanuts [biggrin]
rldavis

Reply with quote  #7 
Chips and dip? What? I think peanuts might be a little healthier. I leave them their own servings of cat food so they leave the cats alone while they eat. They get my stale stuff too. I have an Australian Shepherd that is psychotically picky about food so the raccoons get her rejects too. I have petted some of them. For a few years I also had a family of skunks. That was interesting.[smile]

bd

Robyn

Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, so good Bob. The BG looks so good with your photo and overlay. Your fox looks terrific and good work with all your study before drawing him. They have such bushy tales don''t they. He was minding his own business and is now wondering why people are looking his way.
You guys have such different animals that you interact with. I can' t imagine any of them here. We have just the ordinary cats/dogs/guinea pigs/mice and rats, and there are wild pigs, possoms, ferrets, stoats and i can' t think what else. Some keep ferrets as pets. We do have deer, but not roaming about the place.    [smile] Rob

COUNTRY KITTY

Reply with quote  #9 
Goodmorning Awesome fox I research my animals too when I paint them too.I will have to try spuddy's over play tutorial. I am working on a tutorial right now to share with everyone if they want it. COUNTRY KITTY/MARY
Suzette

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldavis
Chips and dip? What? I think peanuts might be a little healthier. I leave them their own servings of cat food so they leave the cats alone while they eat. They get my stale stuff too. I have an Australian Shepherd that is psychotically picky about food so the raccoons get her rejects too. I have petted some of them. For a few years I also had a family of skunks. That was interesting.[smile]

bd

I kid you not...first hand knowledge. I was able to hand feed french onion dip on a potato chip to this one raccoon. It would sit up and place both its hands/paws on my hand to steady it while it licked the dip off. Then, ever so gently would take the chip step away and eat that before returning for a repeat. I feed it 3 so it was a rinse and repeat, I was in awe! Then when it wouldn't give up wanting more, my late husband tossed some peanuts out on the patio. A little later I looked out and saw the raccoon had climbed up on the 2 x 4 railing of the patio and was passed flat out with all 4 legs hanging off the rail...hahaha it went to sleep that evening one happy lil' critter.
rldavis

Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you Rob. I learned that the fox's tail was bushier than I thought and the color pattern was not like I believed. The photo background is a technique I have wanted to explore more. I'll just have to take more pictures.

I must confess to not being clear on how different NZ is from Australia and here Oz gets more press. I figured you had about the same critters. I thought maybe you had a yard full of kangaroos, wallabies, platypuses, koalas and maybe even a Tasmanian tiger or two. I also thought there was an uncontrollable population of rabbits.

In addition to the previously mentioned bunch, I have a few wild rabbits. There was a cougar seen in the neighborhood last month. I didn't get to see the cougar and there are black bears around but I haven't seen one close. Unfortunately too, my property is home to to a few mazama gophers, a protected species. Unfortunate in the fact that they are busy little burrowers that keep my lawn looking like a test site for mole hills. Also every night there is a chorus of the local coyotes to go to sleep by. Pretty much like living in a zoo.[smile]

bd

rldavis

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you Mary. I'll watch for your tutorial.[smile]

bd

rldavis

Reply with quote  #13 
Suzzette, I gave them some leftover pizza today and they really went for that over the cat food. I think I have a container of stale peanuts around. I'll try that next. I'd rather they ate them than put them in the compost bin.[smile]

bd

Robyn

Reply with quote  #14 
Wow!  I don't think I could live in your country with all the potential dangers Bob, including snakes and all the other ones you and Suzette mentioned.  Yes, forgot about those rabbits running wild in the hills on farm lands, causing great problems, but I think they have been largely controlled now and a watchful eye kept out for them . (I believe the English bought them here, but I could be wrong about that).  But no specific Australian animals here, except maybe of the human kind. [rofl] Australia would like to take over our country as another state, but [nono][nono][nono] !!!  Of course there are the usual sheep, cattle, horses, piggies...  No snakes except we had 2 caught in a shipment once and thank goodness that no pregnant snakes have escaped.   Rob

shutterbuggy

Reply with quote  #15 
Beautiful fox, Bob. We have a couple that traipse through our back yard every now and then. So, so pretty and fascinating to watch (from a safe distance).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.