Author   Comment  
spuddy

Reply with quote  #1 
Just a quick look at Overlay layers to adjust lighting aimed at people new to digital painting. If you paint on a layer set to overlay with black it will darken the area and if you paint with white it will lighten the area.
I usually use more than one overlay layer so that the opacity can be adjusted to give the effect needed in any given area.The picture below has 5 layers with the opacity ranging from 57% to 100% and I chose it to illustrate the effect because it was generally rather flat in it's levels,and I have used pretty heavy effects to show how a picture can be altered post painting.
the midle picture is the original the bottom one has the overlay adjustments and the first one is the overlay adjusted picture with a heavy levels adjustment on the whole picture.
Ps the pictures didn't load in the correct order ie orig then overlays then levels somehow the levels picture went to the top when I added it on an edit so sorry for thatjungle 3.jpg 
jungle 1.jpg  jungle 2.jpg 

rldavis

Reply with quote  #2 
Dave, I see the difference but I'm not sure which is which. I did read your query to Don about overlay layers. In all these years, I've never tried it or knew what it did or how to use it. So I tried it and it will be useful. In my own way, I created brushes to do the same thing more or less. Thanks for tip. I appreciate your art and support.

bd

spuddy

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Bob yep I find brushes aren't as versatile as an overlay or soft light adjustment
for large diffused lightening or darkening use custom brush or covers 100 feather opacity set mid to low and very large brush size use mouse and one click operation rather than stroke the colour
here are the pics in order I hope
jungle adj 1.jpg  jungle adj 2.jpg  jungle adj 3.jpg 

rldavis

Reply with quote  #4 
Dave, thanks for clearing it up. I understand better now. My appreciation for how much I have learned from you over the years.

bd

Robyn

Reply with quote  #5 
Some good tips here Dave,  Thanks...  [smile]  Robyn
Don Decker

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Dave
Suzette

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you for taking time to explain this~
COUNTRY KITTY

Reply with quote  #8 
Spuddy this is really neat using overlays for layers its been awhile since i used TB also downloaded all your brushes COUNTRY KITTY
shutterbuggy

Reply with quote  #9 
You're a great TBPS teacher, Dave. Thanks for this tutorial.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.