Author   Comment  
Robyn

Reply with quote  #1 
Mottephobia.jpg

Phobias are a dreadful thing to live with especially if it is so severe that a person is paralysed from leading a normal life. There are varying degrees in severity and in some cases the fear started at some point and became habitual, half hearted so to speak, with no effort made to see reason on the particular fear.  I was reading that quite a few became afraid of moths or butterflies (can't remember which} when they were children watching an episode of squarebob, and he went into a scary fit over these winged insects. Of course the parents may not have even been aware of this happening so would not have had a chance to rectify the fear. Children's nursery rhymes come into play, such as "there came a big spider and sat down beside her and frightened miss muffet away" . I played friendly games involving spiders to counteract any fear my children may have had over these rhymes, and also took time to teach good things about all the little creatures. Every little bit helps. That doesn't mean that people can be "on to it" in general to prevent these phobias, especially the serious ones.   
My regards to all TB folk. Keep up the good work.  Robyn   ♥ڿڰۣஜ۩۞۩ஜ♥ڿڰۣ

rldavis

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow again Rob on catching the expression. I don't have phobias but I did have panic attacks when younger. Different but similar in that the fear can't be clearly explained.

bd

Don Decker

Reply with quote  #3 
As always excellent 
kochammarka53

Reply with quote  #4 
A beautiful girl and a beautiful portrait, and these colors !!
shutterbuggy

Reply with quote  #5 
Her facial expression is painted well, Rob. Cautious apprehension! Beautiful young lady, as usual.

I'm not fond of wasps because they can be dangerous when in attack-mode.

Robyn

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldavis
Wow again Rob on catching the expression. I don't have phobias but I did have panic attacks when younger. Different but similar in that the fear can't be clearly explained.

bd
  Thanks a lot for the wow and your thoughts Bob. Panic attacks are pretty rife in the world now and I have had a few myself, but stage fright is what I've suffered most from all my life, and I'm sure it's inbuilt, part of what one is born with.  The closest I got to a phobia is with the NZ wetas. A glorified grasshopper some say but my sisters used to scare me to death about them when little, they said if you stare at them long enough (which I used to do), they would leap off the wall onto your face. So I put it to the test and suddenly it moved and I was out the door in no time at all.  haha.  But I cringed at them for the rest of my life and it's no fun to wake up and find a big one on the ceiling above your head.    [rofl]  Rob

Robyn

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Decker
As always excellent 
Thanks very much Don, always nice to read your approval.  More pics from you please...  [biggrin][smile] Robyn

Robyn

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochammarka53
A beautiful girl and a beautiful portrait, and these colors !!
Thanks a lot Kochammarka. I'm happy you like her.  Yes, exciting colours that we can all dabble in, I would "bathe" in them if I could.  [rofl][smile] Robyn

Robyn

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbuggy
Her facial expression is painted well, Rob. Cautious apprehension! Beautiful young lady, as usual.

I'm not fond of wasps because they can be dangerous when in attack-mode.
Thanks so much Rita and I'm happy you like her.  I'm afraid of bee stings as i swell up enormously and have weeks and weeks of bathing in cold water to try and keep the itch at bay as the swelling goes down. I haven't walked barefoot on the grass for 50 years because of it.  (sometimes cautiously if it's just been mown). When I was a child I had a sting on my scalp and my entire face swelled up and I had a bandage wrapped around it, so an uncle nicknamed me Donald Duch probably because I coudn't speak properly.  So I can nderstand your caution re wasps...  I saw an interesting swarm a few years back. A very neat sight to see. I called the council to see if they could do anything about the huge egg shaped gathering of bees on their tree outside my house as I was afraid the school children might tamper with it. Before he came though I saw them all swoop away in unison, so neat. I was standing right near them. [smile] Rob

VivienneT

Reply with quote  #10 
Poor beautiful girl Robyn.  It looks as though she was taking a stroll through a beautiful garden and ll these moths came flying out at her.  I can relate to that fear as I have a fear of large flying insects, like grasshoppers and moths but not butterflies funny hey or not so funny.
Love your painting. You always bring out the interesting sides of life and it shows in your work.
Vivienne
Robyn

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienneT
Poor beautiful girl Robyn.  It looks as though she was taking a stroll through a beautiful garden and ll these moths came flying out at her.  I can relate to that fear as I have a fear of large flying insects, like grasshoppers and moths but not butterflies funny hey or not so funny.
Love your painting. You always bring out the interesting sides of life and it shows in your work.
Vivienne
Thanks so much for loving it Vivienne. Yes, poor girl and poor people who haven't been able to cope with getting rid of their fears.  That's exactly it Viv, she went for a stroll in the garden and was attacked by these threatening "monsters".  The large flying insects are more understandable to me as they are hard and seem quite threatening as is the one I shudder at, the NZ Weta.  When I was in Oz in the early 60's it was the first time I saw moths that were very beautiful, in both colours and patterns. In NZ we only seem to have drab greys and browns.  I thought ones in Oz had to be butterflys, but no, definitely furry moths. They used to show up where I was doing night nursing and sit on my veil. One of them laid some eggs on said veil. lol   Robyn [smile]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.