Author   Comment  
Pet

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!

I love the image in "RUBEN PANOB'S GALLERY" in the showcase on this website, where a woman is holding a coffee cup.

http://www.pixarra.com/gallery_ruben_panob.html

Does anyone know if that effect is made by applying a filter to the photo or how can I achieve that effect?

Best regards,

Peter

kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Peter, 

If you zoom in around the chain and the hair you can see a heavy dose of smoothing was used. Due to the uneven edges of where the smoothing was applied I suspect this was a paint over with a blending brush or cloning. 

There are some filters that can be used to achieve some looks like this, however, the results will often depend on the quality of the original photo. Pro Studio has all the filters that could be used. Selfie Studio puts them in a form that can be easier to experiment with. 

I will try a quick test or two and post a followup message if I get something close.

Ken
kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Here is a quick photo edit with Selfie Studio.  

photo_edit.jpg 

Left is original photo, right is a few minutes in Selfie Studio and a handful if filter brushes. It's pretty heavy handed but so was the photo edit in the example from the gallery. I'm far from an expert on photo manipulation but the basic approach I took was to use some light Smart Blur filter first and some noise removal, next enhance detail with Tighten to give a bit more defined edges, more smoothing with Smart Blur and then color adjustments with Radiance or Vibrance Plus. It really needs to vary depending on the source photo. In this photo I also used a Colorize brush to add warmth to the skin tone. 

As always respect copyrights. This source photo is licensed to Pixarra from Dreamstime (13705945)

Ken

Pet

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your efforts. However, when I look at your retouched photo I can see that it is just that – a retouched photo. The effect on Ruben Panob's image looked much more like created artwork, sort of an airbrush painting.

Thanks anyway,

Peter
kcarlino

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Peter,

Yes I do suspect Ruben's images are paint overs so it is possible to get a finer artist look. I was just applying filters for a quick approach. TwistedBrush has a good range of blenders that can be used for paint overs. I may put together a dedicated brush or ArtSet for paint overs. Stay tuned.

Ken

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.