• dave
    heres my latest doodle i did today,i stopped because i couldnt figure out what else i shoud do to it,i dont know if it is allowed but if anyone wants to download my picture and try to add something to it, im okay with that, id just like to get the details on how /what you did so id learn something thanksad8ulokwto83kf6a.jpg
    Attachment
    coming home twisted brush (118K)
  • Don Decker
    looks good as is,any more be to much
  • dave
    what would you suggest to make the ocean look more like the ocean,im no artists, and im not that familiar with all the brushes and and stuff but thanks for the comment
  • Vivienne
    I like this a lot Dave. Maybe a bit more grey in the ocean would tone in better. Love the ship emerging from the storm. You are doing really well and the fact that you have painted this shows that you are an artist. We all have to start somewhere and you have started really well. Keep it up.
    Vivienne
  • Don Decker
    try miscellaneous go down to brush werks look for just water
  • Robyn
    It is certainly allowed with the permission you have given Dave. I think there are already enough elements in the scene. I felt that the ship could be a little bit more "shown off". I looked up on the net to see if sailing ships had a fog light, still not sure of the real answer, Below is something I've added to your water as it brings attention to the ship coming out unscathed from the fog, plus it adds a little something to the water, an uplift you might say. (of course if those ships didn't have fog lights, or night lights... well they must have surely! I do like your scene and all the elements you created. Love the swirls of colours in amongst the fog. Well done I used the Pro Studio "Legacy - photo retouch - add" brush for the lighting on the water. So here goes my 1st attempt to add a picture...

o2sjnnyp9ggoqek0.jpg
    Attachment
    ship (60K)
  • Robyn
    You could experiment with the lighting Dave, I simply added a rough idea. I also lit the ship up a little and then removed that. Was just trying to make the ship a tad more noticeable as it is such a small object in a large scene. Anyway, I will be looking forward to your works as they come. :) Robyn
  • dave
    hey thanks class, i ll keep working on stuff, everyone have a nice night:-d
  • Ken Carlino
    Second version is subtle but a nice improvement!

Ken
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Good job Dave. It has a good feel and I think you achieved what you intended. I think the water texture in the foreground is pretty accurate and I would have used that all the way back to the ship - maybe size the texture down as it recedes to help establish depth. Rob had a good idea to bring focus on the ship. You could also accomplish that by breaking up the fog right near the ship. Just keep painting - you're doing great.

bd
  • Spuddy
    I like the concept very much and you have done a decent job and i didn't want to change the mood too much in fact it only needs tweeking a tad
    as a general rule in most cases it's not a good idea to put the focal point dead centre so I have moved the ship a little to the left.simply by cropping the image
    I used the smudge blender to soften the sea and on a seperate layer picked some of the sky colours using the gel pen and the smudge blender to add them into the highlights of the waves
    I used another layer set to soft light to change the lighting and pick out the ship
    lastly the image was desaturated a bit to get back to the general tone of your original
    I'm not saying this is better but just a different take on it to provoke thoughts
    cheers dave
    ltydss5czfel99m1.jpg
    Attachment
    coming home dt2b (83K)
  • dave
    nice thanks will experiment with other brushes and layers,havent quite got the hang of all the extra stuff tb has but will get there
  • Ken Carlino
    The dead center position in the original does give a very unique mood to the painting. One perhaps of danger or power with a ship heading straight at the viewer. But perhaps that was not the intended mood. Dave's (Spuddys) take on the composition gives a safer feeling to the viewer and perhaps more flexibility to do more with the painting. It's hard to add more or the original given the dead center composition.
  • surov
    I like how Spuddy softened the water (the sea).
    However, the original composition (the placement of the ship in the center) I like more.
    If the ship in the center - it's coming to me! It wakes up my imagination.
    This is fatal, inevitable. Ship - the Flying Dutchman. Great!
  • Robyn
    Because of the title Dave, a little bit of the homeland in the foreground could add to that feeling of homecoming. Just a thought, and if it was raised higher to the L side it could take away that dead centre look of the ship. (I don't mind the dead centre look though). Spuddy did a lovely job in his version. Funnily enough, long ago, I posted a picture with a similar title and the same theme, ship heading home... who knows where that is now, but I have it somewhere. :) Robyn
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Pixarra forum!

Feel free to look around, read posts and view images. Create an account to share some of your own thoughts or artwork, it's Free!