• RobertLeeDavis
    n1cs11w4dftcgtbx.png
    Attachment
    Official (242K)
  • Robyn
    He does look official Bob, and very serious! I used to be afraid of officialdom, but I think i got over it/them. I wonder how much stress these official people go through with all the various things they have to deal with. I like the deep maroony tie colour and the stark white shirt which always looks so smart with greys.
    So that's how you do the initial stages. Good guide lines I think and not a sketch of the man. I have tried sketching first and then doing the colours, and then removing the sketch, and horrors I don't like the result, so I reveal the sketch again and then blend it into the colours. Looks much better after that, so I don't sketch at all because of the disappointment. I do sometimes use guide lines though as it does help to get features aligned etc. Sometimes I put guide lines in after I've finished the pic and then find that I have to alter some angles of eyes and other features. :) Rob
  • Don Decker
    Good job ,he looks like one of the untouchables Chicago 1930s ,Don
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Hi Rob, being an American, I'm not afraid. I am disgusted with officialdom, our current bunch especially. Thanks for looking. This is something new for me and not how I usually start. I was tweaking a line brush to get something with character while using the mouse. The brush was getting there so I started scribbling starting with the face and just kept going as it started to looking like a guy in a suit. Usually I don't start this scribbley. Usually 2 or three lines to generally outline each element and then I choose the best line or the best average. It's bad practice, I believe, to start adding color before the drawing is complete, but I do it almost every time anyway. Many layers for colors - mostly one for each shade. I always leave the lines on one or more separate layers. Then, I work back and forth from color to line. I use guides often if I can't get it right by eyeball. I also flip horizontally a lot to make sure I'm not fooling myself too much. I try something new for me in each picture though it probably isn't always evident to viewers. Lately I got that tablet and some new art programs and I'm pretty engaged with art right now. It feels good. I seem to come back to TB and a good old mouse still but I'm trying to expand. I have done more artwork since discovering TB than any time before or with natural media. There you go - my life story.

bd
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Thanks Don. Yeah, gangster or politician - pretty much the same. No offense intended to anyone not guilty.

bd
  • Robyn
    :) Life stories are good Bob... haha. best to ignore the so called "bad proctice" laws that some individuals choose to set down for other people to follow. (who are these people??!!). "Do our own thing" is the best rule as it produces individuality and creativity. I plant a big blob of colour and then use the wet paint blender to shape it into a face, that'll do me. Yes I agree, TB is so encouraging for drawing stuff! :) Rob
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Pixarra forum!

Feel free to look around, read posts and view images. Create an account to share some of your own thoughts or artwork, it's Free!