• Ralph
    "Everywhere I go I hear it said
    In the good and bad books that I have read"
    The Beatles 2kyq4rtm05oze1mc.jpg
    Attachment
    reader blue sf (134K)
  • Vivienne
    Oh Well done Ralph. All in my favourite shades of blue too. I am a bookworm and always have a nice comfortable corner in which to get lost. I can picture myself in your beautiful cosy corner. Love it.
    Vivienne
  • Don Decker
    Wow very good,Don
  • Robyn
    Terrific work Ralph and I do love all those blues with the familiar Ralph patterns on them. . Blue is such a good choice as it goes well towards making a relaxed atmosphere for reading. She looks so engrossed, deeply so. She looks as though she is holding the curtain back to let in a bit more light onto her book. Brilliant! Is it a romance she's reading, and is this all about the word "love" as in the Beatle's song? :) Robyn
  • Isla
    Hi Ralph,

Enjoyed seeing this one - might be all in blue but looks a whole lot more cheerful and relaxing. Nothing like sitting with a good book to keep one company. One of my favourite pastimes - reading. Hope you are having more of these serene moments too.

Cheers Isla
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Great Ralph. Those patterns play the light so well. The linear brushwork is colorful enough that the blue is shifted. It seems like the blue is natural. The skin tones really work.

bd
  • Ralph

Thanks Vivienne.
    I should have made the image just a little bigger, as a lot of the background detail is lost. The original file is much larger. I tried to portray the connection betwixt a reader and a book.
    Glad you like it :)
    Ralph X-)
  • Ralph

thanks Don I appreciate your comment.
    Ralph :)
  • Ralph

Thanks Robyn,
    I love using patterns, to me they represent types of energy. I have always seen blue as a peaceful spiritual color, although I don't have useful definition of spiritual as I think that the word "spiritual" is fairly indefinable. I know it when I feel it though O:) !
    I don't know what kind of book she is reading, as we can learn things even from some bad books.
    I was inspire by the words from the Beatles song
    "Everywhere I go I hear it said
    In the good and bad books that I have read"
    I really do try not to think to much. about what my paintings are about, I just need to paint them the best way I can.
    Sorry probably as clear as muddy water.
    Ralph :-O
  • Ralph

Thanks Isla,
    I do like using blues, as I have never seen blue as a "sad" color... purple maybe, or even red depending on the skill of the artist. Link to the saddest painting I have personally seen
    http://www.galleryintell.com/mark-rothko-the-seagram-murals/
    I guess colors are about what we want them to be?
    I did enjoy painting this artwork though, when I worked on the elaborate, patterns it was a pretty serene calm experience.
    Ralph :-|
  • Ralph

Thanks Bob,
    For a while the skin tones were more naturalistic, but blue seemed to work better.
    I also had more colorful pattern areas, but the limited brown, reddish and yellow passages worked better in my opinion. I am always happy when the painting seems to have its own "suggestions" as to what it needs. :D
    Ralph
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Ralph, before digital, especially as a youngster, I was so frustrated because my ability to change my art was very limited by the media. I erased holes in paper, destroyed watercolors and wasted pen and ink drawings changing things while the work evolved in my head. I am still amazed by what I can do with TB. It seems especially suited for my methods. When you explain how you let it evolve, I get it.

bd
  • Spuddy
    great to see you ralph and your lovely style of painting which i have always liked a lot
    Dave
  • Ralph

Thanks Dave,
    It feel good and "right" to be back.
    Ralph
  • shutterbuggy
    The Ralph squiggles are back . . . yay! I like this style a lot, Ralph.

Happy painting,
    Rita
  • Ralph

more "squiggles" on their way :D
    Cubism, Surrealism and now Squigglism ;)
    Ralph
  • Ralph

yeah I agree with you Bob. I think I would go crazy if I did not work digitally with all its amazing effects, and flexibility . It takes me quite a while to finish my more complex paintings. doing it with real life media, would in some cases be impossible, and in the rest be incredibly time consuming.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Pixarra forum!

Feel free to look around, read posts and view images. Create an account to share some of your own thoughts or artwork, it's Free!