• RobertLeeDavis
    q4ao4y0kl99xtlci.png
    Attachment
    Buffalo Spirit (396K)
  • Don Decker
    Nice work,Don
  • shutterbuggy
    I like how what's missing from the buffalo's body is present in the viewer's mind. I feel the animals power and spunk.

Lovely, actually.

Happy painting,
    Rita
  • Vivienne
    A beautiful strong animal Bob. I love the way you have painted him.
    Vivienne
  • Robyn
    [reply="RobertLeeDavis;d304 He has spirit alright Bob, and great physical power as well, as shown in the shoulders and that lunge forward. This is very unusual in the way you have drawn him, and the fact that he seems to be emerging out of another world, may mean that you meant the other kind of spirit. :) Rob
  • Isla
    Hi Bob - very effective. Really like it.

Cheers Isla
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Thank you all. This was another that was planned. It came out as I imagined it except I did a horizontal flip to check my work and I like this view better. Rob I was thinking the other kind of spirit, but they are essentially the same thing, aren't they?

bd
  • Robyn
    I guess it depends on one's personal belief Bob. To me,to "have spirit" , as your Buffalo does, is to be acting with zest or zeal. That applies in a different way to humans than to animals IMO. (and it's not a humble one I don't think lol.. ) The other sort of spirit that people believe in leaves the body at death and goes elsewhere for another life.for both animals and humans. I don't believe that but will never knock anyone for believing it as it is a very personal thing, and in the end boils down to faith and opinions. (so please don't take what I say personally). So your Buffalo is a buffalo spirit from what I understand from you now. He also has spirit as in fighting fit. :) Rob.
  • Robyn
    PS it's funny about the horizontal flip,it usually shows up faults with mine. :s
  • Ralph
    Good work Bob,
    looks like it was inspired by cave paintings to me. I think you capture the respect the early hunters had for the animals they relied on not only food, but clothing and some tools (like bone needles).
    If that was the type of totem spirit you were going for, I would say "You got it!" if not....Well actually you were going for that, and just did not know it...So There! ;)
    Cheers Ralph (Y)
  • RobertLeeDavis
    Thanks Ralph. I hadn't consciously thought about the Lascaux cave paintings until your comment. There are just all sorts of things going on in our heads that fuel creativity. I'm glad for that and thankful. I do have my own spiritual beliefs and am comfortable with everyone else's whatever they might be. Some of it shows up in my art and sometimes it's there and doesn't show up. View at your own risk. ;)

Rob I use horizontal flip a lot to find my mistakes. There are plenty. I use reference photos a lot but only to make sure what is in my head somewhat reflects what things should look like. I don't use specific photos to copy. So the flipping helps me make sure my concept works.

bd
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Pixarra forum!

Feel free to look around, read posts and view images. Create an account to share some of your own thoughts or artwork, it's Free!