• Spuddy
    This is an old one that isn't available anywhere else.It was an exercise to see if I could get somewhere near to a realistic render.It took many hours and became rather tedious towards the end.The question I asked on completion was "was it worth it" I was pleased with the end product but why create a photo render of a photo?
    Apart from the technical side I came to the conclusion that it is /was pretty pointless
    anyway here it is hope some find it interesting There are some tedious vids available if anyone is interested and has nothing better to do than watch paint dry i will post links
    this is the sketch
    h202rjweye5pg6gr.png

this the picture raw from the painting process
    jqr3ejd6oc8vbha0.jpg

this is the picture after lighting adjustments to get the wet sand etc which isn't in the photo
    3j4ryhdpr8croy0e.png

this is an update done today adding a figure from another painting of mine
    x3e0cz06zesbrka7.jpg

this is the original photo taken by me on brora beach
    eipygvpu29cwedxn.png

These are some details
    bhklaj5r38yotgj1.jpg
    84crgruiyu3wbb3n.jpg
    n90hjl9trqw93pw1.png
    this is close up painting
    lxfumfjzpphy04ri.jpg
    same view actual photo
    a51dfslb8u59luvv.jpg
    split view painting above phot below
    x1ujx092iry3tlu2.jpg
    Attachments
    brora beach8sketch (216K)
    final brora beach3 (2) (298K)
    brora beach lighting (2M)
    brora updated (284K)
    brora photo (3M)
    brora detail 2 (266K)
    brora wip (308K)
    brora_pan_First_Frame (1M)
    close up painting (218K)
    close up photo (203K)
    painting and photo (230K)
  • Willabong
    You've done an amazing job, and don't beat yourself up over the work you have done. Just remember that all great artists copy their paintings from real life subject matter!
  • Don Decker
    Good job a lot of depth, looks good,Brora beach Scotland my 18th grand father was James Stewart,the black knight,Don
  • Vivienne
    I seem to remember these Dave and its great to see them again and how much you have put into them. Great work.
    Vivienne
  • Robyn
    I remember it too Dave and it is a wonderful work. Nothing wrong in copying reality, That's how you get things to look real. Just saying... O:) Rob
  • Isla
    Hi Dave,

This is great. The challenge is in the painting and getting the depth of the original - which takes a good eye, skill, ability with the paint and the colours - all of which have much to recommend them. Are you familiar with Raymond Ching who commented he could not, no matter how he tried, paint anything else but totally precise and realistic paintings. His are just great. Lots of value in your work. So many artists do not get that depth into their paintings.
    Cheers Isla
  • shutterbuggy
    Excellent. I liked looking at each step, Dave.

Rita
  • Spuddy
    cheers all ......no I wasn't familiar with Ching isla thanks
    Dave
  • Ken Carlino
    Excellent work! Thanks for sharing the progression.
  • Spuddy
    Thanks Ken for looking and kind comment
    Dave
  • RobertLeeDavis
    I remember this Dave. The quality stuck with me.

bd
  • bishka
    Two reasons for doing a phote render of a photograph..
    1) It adds to your skill set.
    2) There is great potential in making a rough photo montarge and then making a photo realalistic painting from it. For example: You could get a photo of a running horse and use that as the main subject in your beach render.

The better you get at this sort of thing the less you need to rely on photo's and the more you can do free hand.

Bishka

PS: Reason number 3) In terms of composition, there is alot of parallels between painting and photography, so just the act of taking photos can help improve your painting skills.

PPS: Reason number 4) Photography can get you out and about to places you would not normaly go too, or places that have be on you to do list for years

Reason number5) A photographer gets out and about taking photos, puts them on his/her computer and maybe print of a few, but You get all of that plus get to make something new/never before seen out of the photos.

So go out to cool places, take some cool photos, and paint coll pictures !!! And don't doubt your abilities or yourmethods!
  • CyrusCherry
    Incredibly, your work is amazing! I would like to hear your opinion about this blog http://fixthephoto.com/, is it worth using these materials for training?
  • Spuddy

What blog? as you are fully aware the link is not to a blog and it is very rude to piggy back a post to try and promote a photo retouch and editing site.How can such a site be used for training ?!!! ..unless I'm missing something here.......##
    if you have any genuine questions members are only too happy to help.
    If I hadn't adopted my fluffy dog avatar my response to you would have been much harsher
  • Ralph
    I remember this work from when it was posted in the Old TB gallery.
    In the end it is only you that you have to please, but I do like the work, and I think you have created something much more then a technical exercise.
    Just saying
    Ralph X-)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Pixarra forum!

Feel free to look around, read posts and view images. Create an account to share some of your own thoughts or artwork, it's Free!